Re: [AMC-list] d@mned holley carb anyway

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 07:53:43AM -0400, Matt Haas wrote:

> Have you had your gas tank cleaned out? I've heard of this problem from
> quite a few people (and it happened to my wagon before I got it) and all
> of these cars had one thing in common: they were ran with old gas.
>
> Modern gas seems to break down into a tar like substance and the only
> way to get rid of it is to clean the gas tank. If you don't you'll end
> up fighting sticking valves and bent push rods.
>
> Matt

Really?  I've just been through the cleaning-out-digusting-gas-tank-goo
routine with the resurrection of my '63 Ambo, and what came with it was
*carb* problems.  Specifically, the gunk was sticking the float bowl
needle valve shut, and killing the motor due to starvation.  A not very
pleasant situation out on the highway.

I'd be very surprised if that stuff made it as far as the valves without
first creating other problems elsewhere.

Jonathan