Re: [AMC-list] Getting ready for first trip with Rambler and Apache Eagl

Re: [AMC-list] Getting ready for first trip with Rambler and Apache Eagle

Yeah, we did get out. I updated the pics with some from the campsite.
Link is here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/bruce.griffis/RamblerAndApacheFirstTimeOut?feat=directlink

We hit the grocery store Friday morning, packed up, and got out of the
house around 11:30. I drove down a local 4 lane road for a few miles,
then pulled over to double-check the hitch, chains and lights.
Everything was good, so off we went! We went up I575 and a good
55-60MPH. I was concerend as the speed limit is 65 and folks go a good
bit faster, but we had no trouble at all. I stayed to the right and
chugged along.

We made it to the campsite and set up. Had a really nice looking site.
We backed in, then moved the camper by hand, then didn't have enough
room to fold it out, so we moved it again. Easy enough, we just
grabbed the tongue and pulled it along. Weather was hot and muggy, but
there was a good breeze and a lot of shade. We brought along cast iron
cookware for cooking. Bacon and eggs, coffee perked over the campfire,
biscuits cooked in a dutch oven, steaks. We did all right.

We did some fishing behind our site. There was a nice rock formation
that made a perfect seat in the water. My son spent a good part of the
day fishing, and I hung out and snagged the Zebco a couple times. I
couldn't find my flyrods before heading out - but had a lot of fun
with the Zebco. I think I'll just dust off another old spinning rod
and use that next time.

A thunder storm rolled in Saturday night. We were outside as the wind
picked up, and started discussing what we should put away in case a
storm hit, It started raining in mid-sentence, and we grabbed the
phone, camera, wallet and hit the camper. The canvas stayed dry, and
we waited for the worst part of the storm to pass by. Then we had a
light rain, so we put on our ponchos and wandered around.

We got a late start Sunday, and took our time hoping the canvas would
dry. We ended up putting the camper away with the canvas dry in most
places, but still a little wet around the zippers and screens. We'll
have to set it up in the morning to dry out.

Coming home was uneventful. Just a nice ride back home, doing a steady
55-60. I'll need to take pictures of the inside of the camper But it
has nothing in it. No stove. No sink. No heater. No furniture. Just
two bed ends, and that is it! I think I'd like a table and benches
(the Apache Eagle had them as an option) so we could play board games
if we have to stay inside. I'lll look around and see if anyone is
parting out an Eagle - but shipping might be nuts! (heck, we could
just bring a small folding table and be done with it).

It must have been fun hitting the beach! We haven't been in a long
time, and are watching the news, as our favorite spot is near
Apalachicola.