To: "AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:25 AM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] '65 American 195.6 Fuel Pump to Carb alternatives

Plain old rubber works fine, it's only 3 - 5 psi or so. Pipe sizes are
measured by the INSIDE DIAMETER of the tube, not the threads, so a '1/8"
nipple' will have a threaded portion about 3/8" wide.

Then there's flare vs. pipe. There are flare fittings to accept hose, that
will screw into the place where the steel flared line with nut go.

Decent hardware stores often are better stocked, and less jumbled by sloppy uncaring customers who tend to put the parts back in the wrong drawer at the auto parts store! What I'd do is take a section of old steel flared line to the store and match up fittings. You can find a flare female to fit your old line; then use that to check that the hose fitting fits that female portion
(then put it back in the right drawer :-)

A few feet of rubber fuel line and good worm clamps of the right size and
you're done.

You can even chop the ends off your old steel line, leave 1.5" of straight
smooth steel at the nut, and put hose on *that*. That's Rambler Mentality
:-) In that case I'd use two hose clamps, 180 degrees apart, since there's
no bumpies to grip the hose, but that's paranoia, mechanical fuel pumps
rarely generate more than 7 psi stalled, most unlikely to pop off a hose.
I've done it without embarrassment.

(I admit I tend to act with old car repairs like that joke about 'always
wear clean underwear, what will the nurses think if you end up in the
emergency room?'. If J. Random Carnut pops the hood on my funky-a** Rambler wagon, I want nothing to embarrass me under there, even temporary fixes that
might be occasionally necessary!)

Next up: redo the electrical connections to the coil and distributor.
Something gave me a decent jolt when I stuck my hand in there! Need to
get the car moving again before I have to worry about the gas sitting
in the tank too long.

You can get a good whack from the - or sometimes + side of the coil too.
When the magnetic field collapses in the coil it also generates a voltage
spike on the coil primary, a couple hundred volts, enough to jab you.