Re: [AMC-list] Car magazines are bugging me - how about dailydrivers

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Armand Eshleman <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> The most boring thing to me is the 300% over restored classic,

> I'm beginning to think the only truly hotrodding that is going on any more
> is the rat rod movement.
>

> Let's face it, almost anyone can drop any late model GM engine in virtually
> anything with all bolt on parts it seems these days.
>

> I'm not sure I will resubscribe to Hot Rod, although I will say the last
> issue had a little better coverage.
> It had a story on a Pontiac engine build and how to fix rust & replace
> floor
> boards. All pretty good.

In agreement 100% here! HOT ROD does have occasional articles on metal
shaping, etc. But it's power power power, nothing but power and money (hmm,
what venue is this? :-)  My father got me a sub, I never renewed, they still
send :-)

Car Craft is doing a pretty good job of diversifying their articles and car
> brands.

I'll have to go look for one.

After all they did print that article about the Toyota powered Camaro that
> Tom mentioned.
> Even though they managed to over emphasize their dislike for the combo,
> they
> printed it anyway.

...then promised they would never do such a thing again, due to all the hate
mail! About two years ago, HOT ROD started to diversify the content, then
went back to the traditional HP-product-based content.

But I think the single biggest factor is that most Americans over the age of
30 use cars as NOSTALGIA devices. They want to create/recreate what they had
in high school, etc. Look at HOT ROD -- every other sentence is
'traditional', historical, original, etc. It dominates most of the car
magazines that aren't MOTOR TREND and other stuff obsessed with brand-new.
I'll go so far as to say, other than the import scene and related, the
American car hobby IS a nostalgia hobby.

For better or worse, I'm an utterly UN-nostalgic person. The LAST thing I
want is the crap from my high school era. Ugh! I like 50's/60's American
iron, not the rest of the stuff that went with it. I like the engineering,
the social-outlook built into the tall greenhouse/aerospace styled era. I
like the fact that you CAN work with that era's metal. I like Rambler's odd
mix of conservatism and long-view engineering style and lets-make-do styling
and design reuse.

What I want is the print/tech magazine that goes with the JALOPNIK website
(minus the whining).

I'm way OT now, I'll shut up.