Re: [Amc-list] vacuum wipers

Trico vacuum wipers were very common so its no surprise that you can
still get parts for them. Pretty much everyone used them for 50 or 60
years and the design changed very little.

About 10 years ago, Auto Restorer ran an article about how to fix them
and I think the subject motor was from a Ford Model A. The only
differences I saw between that and the motor on my car were the mounting
plate shape, the vacuum controls (the one in the article had a shaft
that stuck through the dash to control it), and the "newer" ones use a
little bit of plastic and rubber instead of metal and leather for the
switch that controls which the side the vacuum is applied to. I would
image that the drive arm had changes to suit different vehicles but
that's hardly a major design change.

Matt

On 1/9/2009 10:47 PM, Victor the Cleaner spouted this sage advice:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 06:59:01PM -0800, Joe Fulton wrote:
>
>> Another service company is Ficken Wiper Service in Mass., I think.
>> I sent my 65 Rambler wiper motor to them and it came back looking
>> like new.  I have not tested the function yet.
>
> There's something kind of amazing in there being specialty companies
> like that still around.  I hope not to need them - I was just digging
> around in the not-yet-totally-sorted boxes of parts I got with the
> '63 Ambo I'm working on at the moment, and found three motors, one of
> which looks kinda NOS.  So I'm probably in good shape for the time
> being.
>
> jl

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH