Re: [Amc-list] vacuum wipers

>> Okay, now you're confusing me.  Why should there be any correlation
>> between wiper vacuum and manifold vacuum?
>
> Many have been plumbed directly to the manifold due to dead booster pump
> on the fuel pump assembly.

See other mail - just me being stupid.  Manifold plumbed to fuel pump.

>>> (*) The TSM has a hilariously vague spec that says something like
>>> 'sufficient' in it. It assumes you are fully conversant with the
>>> physics of the thing. We got a good guffaw out of that about a year
>>> ago.
>>
>> "TSM"?
>
> Technical Service Manual from AMC. Honestly, without one I could not
> drive Ramblers.

Me being stupid, part two.  Of course it says that on the cover of my
manuals; just never used the abbreviation in conversation.

>> Okay, so nothing specific.  I'm thinking this is probably a good place
>> for silicon spray, since it can't make its way into the fuel system.
>> I think I'd have a hard time justifying paying that sort of money for
>> a rebuild, so I guess I'll crack open one of my spares and see how
>> things look.
>
> $100 or work. Its a half century old and wants some attention :-) A
> fully disassembly, clean and lube... McCoy and Stathes also replace the
> wiping seal, a PITA since it has to be unriveted and seal replaced etc.
> Mostly the lube hardens and dirt and oil plugs up the filters and
> passageways. It's an easy hour job on a bench.

I'll have to pull it apart and decide.  I have plentiful bench time here
at home; sending one off isn't just a matter of cost - crossing the border
has to be factored in, and the extra transit time, and the extra cost now
that the canuck buck has sunk back down to its pre-par level (I sure am
glad I bought that exotic sailboat a year ago, back when our dollar was
briefly worth more than yours...)

jl