Re: [Amc-list] vacuum wipers

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 05:21:01PM -0800, Tom Jennings wrote:

>> First of all, what sort of vacuum should I be measuring on the
>> fuel pump's wiper port?
>
> Should be manifold worst case, with a good booster pump, I'd guess(*)
> around 16 - 20 InHg all the time.

Okay, now you're confusing me.  Why should there be any correlation
between wiper vacuum and manifold vacuum?  The wiper gets its vacuum
from the fuel pump, which isn't connected to the manifold - it's got
three ports:  gas from tank, gas to carb, and vacuum to wiper motor.

> (*) The TSM has a hilariously vague spec that says something like
> 'sufficient' in it. It assumes you are fully conversant with the
> physics of the thing. We got a good guffaw out of that about a year
> ago.

"TSM"?

>> Second, how best to perk up a groggy wiper motor?
>
> Peter Stathes? Mac McCoy? rebuild them about $100/pop. I've done
> quickies on mine, OK if they're not too far gone. Complete disassembly,
> clean and lube. Vaseline is about right.

Okay, so nothing specific.  I'm thinking this is probably a good place
for silicon spray, since it can't make its way into the fuel system.
I think I'd have a hard time justifying paying that sort of money for
a rebuild, so I guess I'll crack open one of my spares and see how
things look.

> Everyone complains about them, but I like them better than electrics.
> Most of the complaints, as I see it, are based on the behavior of 40 -
> 50 year old units which are of course worn out. Rebuilt or rejuvenated
> they're fine. You do have to have a booster pump else accelleration
> means no wiping. I've lived with that on my Classic for 20 years (I'm an
> idiot).

I'm just used to them on these old rides.  Part of their "character".

jl