Re: [Amc-list] 232/258 fuel pump on ebay

Glen Hoag wrote:
> Would that cause problems sucking fuel from the tank?  If the line
> from the top port of the filter isn't sufficiently restrictive, you
> could wind up pumping around the "bypass" and starving the engine of
> fuel at speed.  I think that I would want the return line going back
> to the tank.

Oh you definitely want a line going back to the tank -- but early cars
don't have one, and it's not a trivial job to add (thoug it's not THAT
hard...)

However, the third leg on the filter IS restrictive, much more so than
the line from the tank, so, though I have not done it, I believe it
would work just fine. But it would definitely be a crock. And I use
'crock' in the hacker sense: http://catb.org/jargon/html/C/crock.html

A pressure regulator would do, but those are not cheap. ANd they don't
solve the bleed-off-pressure thing.

> PartsAmerica.com lists two pumps for a '70 Hornet.  The early style
> with filter,  Carter M3805 (Airtex 3805 is the same pump), or the
> late style without filter, Carter M3979/Airtex 3979.  This must have
> been a running change.

I've personally had very poor experiences with PartsAmerica -- no matter
what I order, they don't ahve it! Last experience was the clutch
business. They claimed to have it, I paid, a few days later it was all
refunded and part became unavailable.

I don't mean to imply they are untrustworthy or crooked. Just bad data;
let's say, "too optimistic" :-) They seem reputable, but they're no
RockAuto.