Re: [Amc-list] Early 80's 4-cyl bellhousing

Frank Swygert wrote:
> Yes, the 2.5L was paired with a T-5, but the trans and rear axle gearing were set up for it also. Anyone who had one will probably tell you fifth gear was useless unless you were on the interstate running 60+ with a light load and in pretty level terrain. I've driven a couple late 70s/early 80s cars/trucks with small engines and five speeds. In a rural area, especially with hills, you never use fourth gear, and don't use it a whole lot on the freeway -- almost always have to gear down to maintain speed up grades of any inclination or length.

But one person in a car on a flat and level highway is very common...
it's like 90% of my driving!

I plan this weekend to visit the local U-pull-it with tapemeasure and
(snuck in) camera and check out said 2.5L and trans with an eye to
fitting it in the early American.  I just wanna know, as in backup
plan... a modern, mated, AMC, well-pair motor+trans would be a lovely
thing...

I know it won't fit as-is, but I'm less and less daunted by the intake
manifold issue. I don't see why one could not be fabricated from
semi-flexible tubing eg. plastic as long as it's heat resistant.

ANyways I wanna know!

If I could cut only the firewall around the heaterbox, and replace the
heater box with a VintageAir unit, I'd stick a 232 in there, but I know
that doesn't work -- the water pump would live in the middle of the
radiator. IT would require a transmissionhumectomy to push the six back
that much, no small undertaking. I even thought about putting the
radiator stacked to one side, but that's nuts (though it is just a heat
exchanger).