Re: [Amc-list] modern six in an old-six hole

Frank Swygert wrote:
> I know of one person who said they did it, but never got any pics.
> Took the heater out and recessed the firewall nearly to the dash.
> Wouldn't want to change #6 sparker!! Must have an access panel under
> the dash for that... would be worse than a Pacer!

You mean, like a set-in box for the back of the motor? UGH!!

An AMC 5-cyl would be *perfect* :-)

> The only "modern" engine that readily fits with little work is a Ford
> 200/250 six

Yeah, but I wanna AMC! :-)

What I wish AMC had done, instead of all that foolish new platform stuff
in the early 70's?

Stuck with high-quality economy cars, with a thin layer of prestige
performance cars, like it seemed they might 68-70. Rambler AMericans
with bench seats and radio delete; and AMX 390 with four speed!
Conservative, reliable, boring, economical design, with the perf cars as
testbeds and prestige. The AMX in the product line made the Americans
interesting.

Then make the V8 a V6; the I6 an I4; and turbo the CRAP out of both
"new" motors, for four: econo four, 'hot' four, V6 for workaday wagons,
and phase out the 8's for hot light turbo V6s.

Yeah, I know you all like 8's, but marketing-wise it would have made AMC
cutting edge, cheap development (the six and the eight are clearly
top-notch base designs!). ANd quality econo cars with GOOD 4's and V6's
would have leaped them ahead in Gas Shortage I days...

... and I could put an AMC v6 in my Early American.