Re: [Amc-list] 232/258 fuel pump on ebay

Re: [Amc-list] 232/258 fuel pump on ebay

I was unable to buy a "1970" fuel pump; 1979 was off-the-shelf.

I wonder if you could simply install a three-legged fuel filter, and run
the "return" line into the line from the tank and into the pump with a
tee! The third leg is basically an outlet with a restriction -- it makes
the pump "leaky".

The third leg/return line also bleeds pressure off the needle and seat
when you stop the engine -- this stops a lot of older cars flooding when
  parked. That's a nice thing!

Glen Hoag wrote:
> There were differences, but the aftermarket seems to have
> standardized on one type, which is probably the high volume
> pump.  See the part number change in '76 for 2 bbl carbs in the AMC
> part number listing.  This may cause issues in applications without a
> return line.  I had to replace the pump in my daily driver recently;
> I should check the pressure on mine.  I may need to add a regulator.
>
> --Glen
>
> At 03:58 PM 10/14/2008, Ken Ames <ameskg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> There you go...  : )
>>
>> Shouldn't there be a difference in pumps through the 70s? I know that the pump
>> in my 80 AMX (high volume) would flood the carb if I didn't have the
>> return-to-tank line attached, but the earlier pump (regular volume) was fine.
>>
>> Ken
>>

>> Quoting Glen Hoag <hoag@xxxxxx>:

>>> While it's interesting, don't bother; this pump is available new from
>>> Advance or CSK for around $33 in Carter brand and $35.50 in Airtex
>>> brand.  AutoZone stocks it in Airtex brand for $32.  The eBay seller
>>> wants anywhere from $10-21, depending on where you are located, to ship it.
>>>
>>> This pump fits the AMC six, but the hose fittings on it appear to be
>>> unique to the IH trucks.  AMC applications use a flare fitting on the
>>> outlet side of the pump.
>>>
>>> The correct 1970-88 AMC pump is Airtex 6737 (M6737 in Carter) and
>>> sells for $25.50 on partsamerica.com (Advance/CSK).
>>>
>>> Prior to 1970, a pump with integral filter was used.  It appears that
>>> the later style pump can be fitted to earlier engines with the
>>> addition of an inline fuel filter.
>>>
>>> I have AMC parts catalogs from 1973/86 that list the following six
>>> cylinder fuel pumps:
>>> 1973 3216577 (supplied with bolts) USE 3225283 (and two bolts)
>>> 1974 8124459 (supplied with bolts) USE 3225283 (and two bolts)
>>> 1974 3223045 USE 3225283
>>> 1975/77 (1-V) 3225283
>>> 1976/77 (2-V) 3228191
>>> 1978/83 3228191