Re: [Amc-list] Ownership of AMC Documentation

On Thu, 3 May 2007, Archimedes wrote:

> You know, I appreciate the effort put into some of these things, but on the
> other hand, I'd be more willing to contribute to that site were there not
> an attempt to claim copyright on the information.

Does AMCyclopedia claim copyright? I took a quick look, didn't
see that, but I agree with you if it does -- IMHO it might read
"Copyright the author unless otherwise stated".

Also, it's somewhat of a fine point, data itself cannot be
copyrighted.  The dealer info itself (names, addresses, etc)
can't be copyrighted, only the book or page that contains it.
Xeroxing a phonebook (for example) is stealing, but compiling
your own list that contains the same data is not.