Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

A: Doing one in the front of an Eagle wouldn't make sense as the housing is
special for the IFS D30 and no strength would be gained. Now a D44 IFS chuck
might be the ticket (and since it was available stock in Jeeps, isn't that
close enough to AMC? <G> I mean the 1963 J300 pickup with IFS) I worked on
an Olds Tornado ('85 I think?) years ago with a D44 front diff separate from
the trans that seemed much like the Eagle one.
   My '83 Eagle wagon was 2.37 and the '81 I had was 3.08. (I still have a
non-vacuum 3.08 front diff for sale.)

rom: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

--
i've just discovered the d35 ifs front axle that ford used does
have a
high pinion.  two crazy ideas immediately came to mind:
1. does the chuck have stub axle tubes, or could collars for
them be
welded on, so that an amc15 axle housing could be deconstructed
and
this chuck subbed?  only the housing would be custom - all the
parts
that go with it would be stock amc15 save the high pinion r&p.
this
for the electro-rambler, with the motor under the trunk floor
behind
the axle.  lowest gear available is a 5.13!
2. could the chuck be adapted to the eagle in place of the
current d30
front?  amc diffs f&r!  one hitch is that available gears are
only for
the d35 3/4 carrier, which normally cuts off at 3.55 for the
rear axle.
there is a 3.27 for the front, which is close enough to work
with a
3.31 rear - but weren't 258/auto eagles geared 2.73 or taller?
internet rambler                            is to see what all
have seen
adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                       and think what none
thought