Re: [Amc-list] Ownership of AMC Documentation

Archimedes wrote:
> Matt Haas said:
>

>> You mean like the one at http://www.amcyclopedia.org/?
>

> You know, I appreciate the effort put into some of these things, but on the
> other hand, I'd be more willing to contribute to that site were there not
> an attempt to claim copyright on the information.
>
> For instance: the list of AMC dealers.  I know that list was built off of
> previously published lists (for instance, I have a list my local AMC dealer
> printed off for me back in 1981).  Yet, the list published on AMCyclopedia
> claims copyright and restricts how it can be used elsewhere.
>
> If I contribute to the amcyclopedia list of dealers, my contribution
> apparently becomes the property of Farna Systems.  I'm pretty sure I
> contributed "Pence-Briggs Rambler" to the Richmond, VA listings -- why
> would that that now be copyrighted by Farna?
>
> Eddie Stakes also has a list of AMC dealerships.
>
>          http://planethoustonamx.com/bodyAMC.htm
>
> I don't see that copyright is claimed on it.  Why would there be?  That
> list is almost identical to the list I was given by my AMC dealer.
>
> WikiPedia is rapidly being filled in with AMC information, and it's all
> public domain.  So is www.AMCArchives.org .  I already put up one page there:
>
>          http://www.amcarchives.org/index.php/Wheels
>
> Now, if www.AMCArchives.org were to copyright what I've written, I wouldn't
> bother.
>
> OK, I'm off my soapbox.
>
> -- Marc

Marc,

To the best of my knowledge (and I just went and looked), those are the
only pages that have a copyright notice on them and that *may* be a
relic from when we first started the site (I seem to recall there was a
big to-do about the copyright statement that was on it originally* for a
very short period of time). Frank Swygert originally posted the dealer
list pre-site crash a couple of years ago and I used what I had
available to put the site back together (which is also why there is no
part 1 listed). I will leave the status of those pages up to Frank.

*For those who don't recall, there was a copyright statement on it that
was intended to prevent someone from downloading the site contents and
publishing them for-profit. There was a lot of back and forth on the
verbiage and various types of licenses were offered as alternatives
(Marc, I believe you even offered an example or two). In the end, we
took the copyright notice off the site.

Matt

--
mhaas@xxxxxxx