Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Motorola Alternators and Prestolite ignition modul

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Motorola Alternators and Prestolite ignition modules

Charlie,

I've run the Motorola on my Javelin for several years with no problem.  It's a
quality rebuild that I bought at AutoZone.  Many people switch because they
need more amps.  The biggest Motorola is 55 amps.  And some people want to
get rid of the external regulator.  The Motorola is definitely an older
design.

AMC also used some Motorcraft alternators.  My son's 78 Matador has a
Motorcraft.

I found a chart in my Chilton's manual.  According to this they switched at
different times depending on the engine.  For the I-6 they started using
Delco in 1975.  For the V8 they used Motorola in 1975, Motorcraft 1976-1977,
and Delco starting in 1978.  If this is correct then you probably do have a
Motorola.

Todd

On Monday 12 June 2006 19:31, GrublinX@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hey Doc,
> Although my car is a 75, I would have sworn that the alternator was a
> Motorola. Now you have me worried and I'll have to look. What was the deal
> with them? Why are they so bad? I do have the Prestolite ignition module in
> my  car, and I read where they are bad. I remember my car going through
> spurts  of shutting down on me on the highway back in 77. Turned out it was
> the  Prestolite gone bad. I'd like to get rid of it, but have no idea how
> to do it or  where to start. I envy our friends in the southdue to the
> availability of cars  and parts. As you know, there are not many AMC cars
> left in the Northeast as the road salt did them in years ago, as it did
> many fine old cars of various makes. Charlie

Everything you need is one�click away.� Make Yahoo! your home page�now.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/YtqqlB/TM