RE: [BaadAssGremlins] I just dont know anymore :( :( (Building my 401)

RE: [BaadAssGremlins] I just dont know anymore :( :( (Building my 401)

DD,

I just read through the Forum thread and saw a lot of good advice and
solid opinions. I saw nobody pushing you to go all-out full race.
Rather, they were saying you have a lot of very high-perf add-ons on
a very pedestrian rebuild. You have to decide what you want, and stay
the course. You can't 'have it all' without compromising.

You want a smooth daily runner? You don't use a Torker nor a cam as
wild as you have.

You want to race and go fast doing it? You need to get the compression
up.

You want to run pump gas, be smooth as a Caddy and fast as a funny car?
Well, why not ask for it to float, too? ;)

If you want a nicely balanced street performer, your 8.5CR can do well
enough but that Torker is high-RPM usage, 2500 and up. Go to the
Performer or an R4B at 1500-3500rpm...real street use. 650-700cfm is
where you want a carb to be. Cam should match the rest...grab
the Performer or a similar grind. Who recommended your current cam
anyway? Did THEY know you had 8.5? If not, they were assuming you had
9.5 or better and gave a you a very gnarly stick to play on weekends
with..but they didn't consider that you want it to go to work/school
reliably, too. It's too hot for the intended usage.

Balance, baby, balance. Every step faster takes a step away from real
streetability. Decide THEN buy.

By the way, my happiest AMC driving was behind a warmed-over 304 wearing

a Carter (Edelbrock) 650 carb, an R4B intake, a very mild cam kit,
headers through turbo mufflers and not much else. It ate every street
350 I came up against. It had all the power you needed to scare the
crap out of yourself, and was in everyday use the entire time I had it.
Went to work during the week, cruising on the weekends...no constant
adjustments or repairs....just gas and go.

Ya can't own a vintage HEMI and whine about putting oil in it at every
fill up. That's a HEMI. You also don't whine about the frequency of the
fill ups. It's a HEMI. You have to give to get......balance. :)

Only in the fantasy land of the car magazines does anyone 'have it all'
...and more often than not, it's all a lie. What they call 'streetable'
is actually laughable. A 2500rpm stall isn't a 'daily driver'...even if
the owner drives it daily. True 'street cars' have manners, and it
sounds
to me like you want the girlfriend/wife and even mom to get in and not
have their teeth rattling out of their heads...but you'd also like to
NOT be blown away by a stock Honda Civic. When asking for
recommendations,
just ask to go 'a step or two up from stock, not full-race ET god.'

John W Rosa
www.JavelinAMX.com

1971 AMC Javelin ADPS 401 (police car)
http://www.javelinamx.com/JavHome/jwr/71ADPS/