Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Spirit hatch problems

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Spirit hatch problems

Title: Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Spirit hatch problems
Weak hatch struts might be part of the problem. That hatch is really heavy,and the pressurized struts are part of what helps it pop up, and keeps theweatherstrip from getting squashed flat as a tortilla. My 1983 SX4 had that problem intermittently. In the hot summer (or in the heated garage) the hatch popped up fine from the remote in the glove box. When the Eagle was outside in the cold, I could hear it click, but nothing moved. Then I noticedthat on cooler days the struts only held the hatch about half way up. Ouch!!! I replaced the struts about a year ago and no problems since. Of courseI also cleaned the rubber weatherstripping and the body surface that it mated to, and wiped on a light coat of Kroil (kind of like WD40 but better) on the rubber. There were a few little chips of paint stuck to the rubber, so that might have been holding it as well. I didn't lube the catch mechanism at all. That fixed it for me.
Onree

on 6/19/04 7:09 PM, Eddie Stakes at eddiestakes@xxxx did write:

The folks below are having some trouble with their electric Spirit rear hatch, this is the same problem I had with my 80 Spirit GT months ago, shown here with my dog Max who passed away recently sitting it it. I never did figure out this problem with the hatch however. Ieven replaced the little glovebox switch with a NOS unit. So if anyone hassome tips or advise let's hear it and thanks in advance to all who may reply.
Eddi eStakes
hello,
I was wonderring if you what causes the spirit electric hatch to NOT want to open even though it "clicks". I have tried adj the catch and have used VERY light silicon lube on the mechanism... maybe the weather stripping is too flat from age....I have no idea...it is very annoying though and you all have had a lot of exp with amc's. maybe you can help?

youssefa@xxxx

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor   ADVERTISEMENT