Re: Spirit hatch problems

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sebastiengf" <interskalactic@xxxx> wrote:
> --- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eddie Stakes"
> <eddiestakes@xxxx> wrote:
> > The folks below are having some trouble with their electric Spirit
> rear hatch, this is the same problem I had with my 80 Spirit GT months
> ago, shown here with my dog Max who passed away recently sitting it
> it. I never did figure out this problem with the hatch however. I even
> replaced the little glovebox switch with a NOS unit. So if anyone has
> some tips or advise let's hear it and thanks in advance to all who may
> reply.
> > Eddi eStakes
> > =======================================
> > hello,
> > I was wonderring if you what causes the spirit electric hatch
> to NOT want to open even though it "clicks". I have tried adj the
> catch and have used VERY light silicon lube on the mechanism... maybe
> the weather stripping is too flat from age....I have no idea...it is
> very annoying though and you all have had a lot of exp with amc's.
> maybe you can help?
> >

> > youssefa@xxxx
>
> I installed an electric hatch release on my Spirit last spring. The
> weatherstripping could very easily be the problem be cause that is
> what pops the hatch up after the solenoid releases. A common solution
> for the worn weatherstripping is to get the weatherstripping from the
> hatch of an early 90 DSM which includes the Eagle Talon, Plymouth
> Laser and Mitsubishi Eclipse. That is what I used and it was less
> than 5 bucks at the local yard. If your hatch is clicking that means
> that your wiring is OK, so it's probably the solenoid. I'd bet on it
> being the weatherstripping like you suggested because that was my
> problem and I've heard it from many others.

You might also try adjusting the latch itself before replaceing the gasket. On my yellow Hornet which does not have a power latch I made a custom upholstered panel for the inside of the hatch. The extra weight was just enough for the hatch not to unlatch with the key and stay unlatched unless I held the key open with one hand and pulled on the hatch with the other hand. Needless to say I messed up my fingers a few times. I cured this problem by installing a small spring loaded button/rod mechanism that is used on cars with remote electric doors and trunks (Shaved doors & decked trunks) With a little care when the item was installed it looked factory. It has worked fine for the last 4 years. I will be installing one in the orange Hornet when I install the upholstered panel inside the hatch on that car.
"Doc"