Re: Spirit hatch problems

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eddie Stakes"
<eddiestakes@xxxx> wrote:
> The folks below are having some trouble with their electric Spirit
rear hatch, this is the same problem I had with my 80 Spirit GT months
ago, shown here with my dog Max who passed away recently sitting it
it. I never did figure out this problem with the hatch however. I even
replaced the little glovebox switch with a NOS unit. So if anyone has
some tips or advise let's hear it and thanks in advance to all who may
reply.
> Eddi eStakes
> =======================================
> hello,
> I was wonderring if you what causes the spirit electric hatch
to NOT want to open even though it "clicks". I have tried adj the
catch and have used VERY light silicon lube on the mechanism... maybe
the weather stripping is too flat from age....I have no idea...it is
very annoying though and you all have had a lot of exp with amc's.
maybe you can help?

> youssefa@xxxx

I installed an electric hatch release on my Spirit last spring. The
weatherstripping could very easily be the problem be cause that is
what pops the hatch up after the solenoid releases. A common solution
for the worn weatherstripping is to get the weatherstripping from the
hatch of an early 90 DSM which includes the Eagle Talon, Plymouth
Laser and Mitsubishi Eclipse. That is what I used and it was less
than 5 bucks at the local yard. If your hatch is clicking that means
that your wiring is OK, so it's probably the solenoid. I'd bet on it
being the weatherstripping like you suggested because that was my
problem and I've heard it from many others.