Re: gm steering column, It'll fit/NOS Parts Drying Up

--- In BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxx> wrote:
> I'm all for interchanges. A tilt column for 68-69 AMX or Javelin will set
> you back $300/cheap to $450/high. A 70-74 AMX/Javelin tilt will set you back
> $150/cheap to $400/high. Why? The cars are headed towards 40 years old and
> if you look in my "production" file on my website, you will see just how few
> people opted for a tilt column. Same with factory AM/FM radios. Same with
> passenger side mirrors. Same with Rally Pack. A "used" Rally Pack with AC
> for 70 AMX will set you back a cool $4000.00. That is four thousand dollars
> for a overlay with gauges. Those with Rambler Mentality run screaming like
> Howard Dean in Iowa, those who have the money will say "how many do you
> have?" Think about it, 4116 70 AMXs made, about 300-400 left, less than 1%
> of them came with that option. Too rich for my blood for $4000, they can
> have my 74 Hornet Sportabout, 79 Concord DL, 71 Matador with 14K miles and I
> might throw in a 74 Matador coupe!! It's as they say at Neverland Ranch:
> "it;s what seperates the men from the boys" Ugh!
>
> This is the reason why I have a huge vendors list on my website, I
> **ENCOURAGE**
> people to shop around for the best price! But the biggest mistake anyone who
> wishes to fix up a AMC in 2004 and beyond will make it thinking that just
> because they paid $500 for the car that they will be able to pay 1972 or
> whatever year prices for those items! You must realize there is a infinite
> number of parts cars left. And parts. A majority of the NOS stuff has long
> since dried up. I cover this a number of times on my website.What is out
> there is simply...........out there. And I even walk around without a arm
> and a leg and other body parts sometimes when forced to bite the bullet on
> something I simply need. And as time goes on....there will be less and less
> manufactures making some of the items we need like suspension parts for
> instance. A good 90% of the parts on our cars will never be reproduced from
> glass, chrome, sheetmetal, bumpers the list can get really large! Luckily
> AMC was the kings of interchanges so many parts do interchange like
> Gremlin/Hornet/Concord/Spirit/Eagle Series for instance!
>
> But I am all for budgets, and all for interchanges, if anyone here
> experiments and finds out something will interchange, by all means, share it
> with the rest of us! Maybe Bart can create a file to stash that info on his
> site here also! Good luck with the GM conversion, hope it turns out.
> Eddie Stakes'
> Planet Houston aMX
> www.planethoustonamx.com

We are all lucky that the Hornet's Gremlins, Concords, Spirits and Eagles shared a lot of the same parts. I have a 79 Concord rear in my original 74 Hornet, Re-bushed with GM pins & bushings 82 Spirit door hinges and a 82 Spirit A/C package tray along with a new 20 Gallon gas tank from a later Hornet with a NOS fuel gauge sender and Concord outside door handles. The new Hornet's stock looking dash will be made up of parts from other Hornets and Gremlins only useing the metal glove box door and plastic insert. I have the plastic that goes around the windshield from a friends parted out Gremlin that only need some minor repair. At least we have an 18 year run of our cars and related ones that we can swap parts off.
"Doc"