From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sun, January 30, 2011 11:23:23 AM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] The 232/258 puzzle

I have 9 232 crank casting numbers and 5 258 crank casting numbers. Send me/post
the number from yours and I'll see if it's on the list. My list was made from
various sources, but I still occasionally find a different number.

There are two different deck height 232s. 64-70 is short deck, 71-89 tall deck
is about 1/8" taller. The tall deck 232 uses the 232 stroke crank and the same
length rods as a 199. There are only two rod lengths:

'64-'71:
199 - 6.125"
232 - 5.875"

'72-'06:
232 - 6.125"
242/4.0 - 6.125"
258/4.2 - 5.875"
Piston pin height is the same on 199/232. 258 and 4.0L have different pin
heights from the 199/232 and each other. IIRC the early and late 232 pin height
is the same, but dish size depends on year (head chamber size and compression).

The 199 uses a flat top piston to make up for compression loss due to reduced
stroke from the 232. 199 pistons are hard to find, but would add at least a full
point of compression to a 232... I seem to recall someone saying it would boost
compression to around 9.5:1.

------------
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 10:00:15 -0800 (PST)
From: Joe Fulton<piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I have a freshly machined crankshaft which has been sitting for several years.?
The machine shop put 258 on the end but I think it was a 232 crank and I never
bothered to correct their error.? Is there a casting number I can check or how
can I, with little chance of error, measure the stroke?

I also have two 232 blocks, one freshly machined with an oversize bore (0.030 I
think).?? If the crank above is a 258 crank I assume I can use either of those
blocks (both are post-1972 motors).?? What rods will I need?? I have a 199 that
I haven't torn down yet.? Will 199 rods work with the crank above??? What
pistons?

-- Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"
Magazine (AMC)