From: Matt Haas <mhaas@xxxxxxx>
Sender: amc-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 12:21:30
To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] American wagons...

Tom,

Style-wise, I think the 64 and 65 are better looking than the 66-69 but
parts-wise, I think you'll be better off with a mid-68 through 69. The
reasons for this are that firstly, the bodies are stronger (benefit of
improved safety standards) so that means less wear and tear on the body
towing and the other benefit is that the T-14 was available in place of
the T-96 (You could still get that too for whatever reason. Probably the
same reason they offered a vacuum wiper option the first few years
electrics were standard).

On the down-side, these same years with the stronger bodies are also
stuck with the early style shoulder belts which suck. Besides not being
able to move around (great if you're racing, bad if you just want to
change the radio), those tend to hit me (I'm 6'1") right across the
neck. I'm not safety expert but something tells me that's not the idea
thing to use to hold my upper body in place in a crash.

As far as telling an early 68 from a mid-year, it's pretty easy. The
mid-year 68's have a VIN tag on the dash as well as the shock tower. You
can also peek under the car and see if the front and rear frame sills
are tied together. BTW, you can't go just by the shoulder belt. That was
offered as an option the first half of the year.

Also, there was a water pump change for 1968 that makes it a pita to
find the correct water pump for 64 - 67 199 and 232 cars. The change is
that the heater hose nipple went from 5/8" to 3/4". It isn't an
insurmountable problem but if the water pump goes out on the road, it's
one more pita to deal with to get it going again. The water pump with
the 3/4" nipple was used from 68 up through 80 or so and is generally
stocked by parts stores. Parts stores will list the 68 and up style pump
as fitting but it doesn't really because of the nipple size difference.
The 64-67 engines also use different pistons than 68 and up which makes
them more expensive (I think mine were about $70 each for cast
replacements) and harder to find.

As far as gas mileage goes, my 68 4 door with a T-14 and 232 (slightly
higher compression than stock [flat top pistons from a 199] and an RV
cam) gets about 26 mpg on this highway. My 67 wagon with an automatic
and a 199 (bone stock except for the .030" overbore) gets about 20. I've
also head that 232's with a 2bbl do better than the 1bbl.

Matt

On 8/21/2010 12:39 AM, tom jennings spouted this sage advice:

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon