Re: [AMC-list] Car magazines are bugging me - how about daily drivers

Re: [AMC-list] Car magazines are bugging me - how about daily drivers

I may have been too harsh on HCC as well. I loved the magazine when it
came out. I read Hemmings Classic Cars and Hemmings Muscle Machines -
loved 'em both. It just seems to me that the focus has changed
recently. It may have been a slow thing, just a little change at a
time. Might just be me. And not to gripe too much - but I really would
like to see full-on classic have their own magazine (so I could opt
not to purchase it, and not see it in HCC, lol). No - I didn't mean
that. My wife, kids and I went to see The Allure of the Automobile at
The High in Atlanta, and loved every minute of it. Still - those are
very different animals. Just as muscle cars have a different audience
than classics, I think older cars have a different audience than
classics.

I guess I'm saying the cars I am interested in are not really classics
in the true sense of the word, and perhaps should have their own
space. I thought they did in past issues - but could have simply been
ignoring sections of the magazine. And I am happy that HCC is
including trucks. Very cool. And money talks - perhaps there is not a
big enough market for simply old cars.

But - perhaps my interests have changed, as my needs have changed.

I'll check out Autorestorers and see if there are other magazines or
newsletters around that fill the bill. In the mean time, I will crawl
under my car and mess around a bit this weekend. Or stretch it out a
little bit and go for a cruise. I'm thinking of camping up at Fort
Mountain in July (should be a few degrees cooler there - not a lot,
but a little) - and it might be fun to make the run without the camper
first, to make sure there'll be no surprises.

But I'm not taking some of it back. I love to read about cruises. I
love to read about two-lanes and old roads that have been bypassed. I
think diners and stands are wonderful places. I'd love to read about
or see pics of independent motels and neon signs lighting up the
night. I want to read more about someone building their car, getting
in their car and going somewhere. I want to read more about learning
mechanical skills and fixing old cars. The car could have faded paint
or rust or the wrong color. Or it could be a work of art done by a
skilled owner and friends. But it should be old and it should be
something the owner worked on and loves and drives. It should be going
somewhere and doing something.

(not bashing the HCC writers. They do a very good job. My tastes have
changed and I'm looking for something different)