Re: [AMC-list] Wrambler's tank/ Favorite gas tank sealant?

Re: [AMC-list] Wrambler's tank/ Favorite gas tank sealant?

> I actually cut apart the old TAT3 inline tank and know why it fails and
> probably why all the inline pumps are prone to failure. The armature is not
> made like a starter or alternator. the armature on the fuel pump rides on a
> shaft and there are nylon bushings where the armature rides on that shaft.
> With external pumps building extra heat and working to pull fuel, a task
> they were not really well designed to do, the nylon heats, distorts, grabs
> the inside of the armature and "poof" no more fuel pump.

"good enough" to last out the warranty, probably. Wow, what crap! Not even a
cheap bronze bushing for a critical part?! Metal spinning in nylon will
generate heat too, even a microscopic imperfection will cause local melting
that will only increase, "positive feedback" style.

Anyway, tomorrow I hope to take a few pictures and proceed to get the pump
> mounted and put the bloody mess back together. I'd hoped to do it today, but
> the baffle would not sit without clamping, so I'm waiting out the J.B. weld
> cure time

magnets! Surplus "disk drive" magnets, aka supermagnets. They might even be
good enough for installation, not just glue clamping. If your baffle was "L"
shaped so it couldn't tip over I bet 3 or 4 of them would have mounted the
baffle without glue or welding.

I know that sounds crazy but I think it would be a good permanent solution.