Re: [AMC-list] Wrambler's tank/ Favorite gas tank sealant?

Re: [AMC-list] Wrambler's tank/ Favorite gas tank sealant?

makes me feel guilty as I just hacked a hole in a perfect rust free tank.
I really tried to save it and use another older spare tank, but that one turned out to be about the consistency of cheese cloth , bummer.

I J.B welded a tank baffle in it today. I could not bring myself to drill holes to fasten it or attempt to weld it. No real access for such things even with my Wrangler sending unit type hole in place. It has about 2.5"X6" of 50 grit sanded adhesion area with a pattern of holes in the sections that are Jb welded down. Baffle is about 5 X 6" and 1.5"s high, just enough to slow fuel from sloshing away from the pump, I hope.

I feel kind of like Tom with his oil pump, a shot in the dark to cure a known problem...

I actually cut apart the old TAT3 inline tank and know why it fails and probably why all the inline pumps are prone to failure. The armature is not made like a starter or alternator. the armature on the fuel pump rides on a shaft and there are nylon bushings where the armature rides on that shaft. With external pumps building extra heat and working to pull fuel, a task they were not really well designed to do, the nylon heats, distorts, grabs the inside of the armature and "poof" no more fuel pump.

Anyway, tomorrow I hope to take a few pictures and proceed to get the pump mounted and put the bloody mess back together. I'd hoped to do it today, but the baffle would not sit without clamping, so I'm waiting out the J.B. weld cure time

Mark Price
Morgantown, WV 26508
1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L, EFI, T-5
"I realize that death is inevitable.