Re: [AMC-list] Favorite gas tank sealant?

Go to www.hirschauto.com. That's the best liner I've ever used, but the tank MUST be clean! Use brick cleaning acid (properly diluted, same as bad stained brick -- follow directions for diluting), a product called "The Must for Rust" (Ace hardware stores, K-mart used to have it), or Ospho (HD/commercial duty version of TMFR -- http://www.ospho.com/ -- available at many auto paint supply stores). I've used the metal wash that Hirsch sells, and found the others above to be a bit better. Well, it's about the same as TMFR. Make sure you WASH out as much loose scale as possible. A handful of small gravel (no bigger than regular size marbles, but rough instead of smooth) will help, or a handful of 3/8" nuts. You may not get every one out, but the sealer will stick it in place. Hirsch used to sell a self-etching sealer that was THE BOMB for this, but they've changed the formula now. Their sealer is compatible with alcohol blend gasoline, I think it's E-85 compatible, but check the site if that's an issue. I KNOW it's good for 10% ethanol -- I've been using it! DO NOT use the POR-15 kit. The kit says for up to a 20 gallon tank, but it's not quite enough. If you do use it MAKE SURE you have enough to cover the entire insides of the tank or it WILL come loose. That's the problem I had. If ANY fuel gets behind the liner it starts to come loose and you have a ruined tank. No way to remove it. Ruined a tank I had. It's a urethane liner, so don't use any other urethane products. I'm afraid it could get fuel behind where openings go into the tank, but I know my problem was that there was not absolutely 100% coverage. The Hirsch site has some good info on different types of liner and warn about the urethane products without mentioning brand names. The Eastwood sealer is basically the same as teh Hirsch product -- might be made by the same people (Hirsch??).
------------------
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 08:35:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Justin Shelton <justinshelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I pulled the gas tank out of my VW bus yesterday (no small chore since you also have to remove the engine!) as some rusty gunk was collecting my fuel filter. I'm taking the tank to a local guy with a radiator shop so he can clean it out, and when I get it back I need to re-seal the inside.
Before I buy a particular product (Por-15? Eastlake? Kreem?) I wonder what suggestions you guys have.  I have a vague recollection of someone in this group posting that the sealant come off his tank and clogged the screen on the fuel pick-up, and I obviously want to avoid a product that will not hold up for a good many years.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts