Re: [AMC-list] Favorite gas tank sealant?

Re: [AMC-list] Favorite gas tank sealant?

This is basically what happened to Kermit's tank which is why it was chemically stripped. It wasn't free (it was $110 I think) but since the tank was in decent condition otherwise, well worth it. Also, besides removing all of the rust and undercoating, this process also de-soldered the fuel filler neck. If you do this with a tank that has the filler neck coming out at a weird angle, it would be a good idea to scribe an alignment mark before hand.

Matt

On 5/18/2010 8:38 PM, Frank Swygert spouted this sage advice:
<snip>
DO NOT use the POR-15 kit. The kit says for up to a 20 gallon tank, but it's not quite enough. If you do use it MAKE SURE you have enough to cover the entire insides of the tank or it WILL come loose. That's the problem I had. If ANY fuel gets behind the liner it starts to come loose and you have a ruined tank. No way to remove it. Ruined a tank I had.
</snip>
--
mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH