Re: [AMC-list] Favorite gas tank sealant?

Re: [AMC-list] Favorite gas tank sealant?

I just had a gas tank sealed (for the second time) and I'll echo's Tom's statement about prep. The first time it was sealed, it wasn't cleaned very well and the liner came off in places when rinsed with the same type of purple cleaner Tom used. This time, the tank was chemically stripped (same process used to strip car bodies) so it was 100% rust free. The radiator shop that sealed it this time used Red-Kote.

Matt

On 5/18/2010 4:16 PM, tom jennings spouted this sage advice:
I used Caswell's Phenol Novolac two years ago and zero problems. It's
gasoline and alcohol proof.

It's all in the prep work. Prep is a BIG DEAL, you really need to get
it down to bare roughened metal inside and that's a tough job. Media
blasting would be best. I would grossly over-do the cleaning and
degreasing.

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Gas-tank/index.html

I'm not that happy with how rust-free I got mine. I think it's OK
because I definitely got it fully degreased, purple degreaser ("garage
floor cleaner") then lacquer thinner.