Re: [AMC-list] LEAD: CAR FOR SALE: 64 Rambler Typhoon

Re: [AMC-list] LEAD: CAR FOR SALE: 64 Rambler Typhoon

I have not been monitoring it, but I agree, the language in the ad is not
encouraging. The seller sounds unclear and a bit erratic. Makes me wonder
about the work too. ITS LIKE WHEN ITS AL CAPS AND BAD GRAMAR you start to
wonder...

The Typhoons are truly beautiful. The 63 and 64 classics too are real
sleepers and are overlooked all the time. They have a great distillation of
60's styling, they were made at or near the peak of AMC quality, parts
interchangability is great, and 64 gets the 232. A hardtop is just the
cherry on top.

The torque tube driveline is bulletproof, grossly overbuilt, not really that
hard to work on except for it's sheer mass.  Brakes, axle bearings etc are
same as late model. It's light, around 3000 lbs +/- 100 (my wagon weighed
3150 on a scale). It's no sports car but it will ride great, and unlike a
lot of other brand cars from that era, even though it handles sluggishly it
doesn't do anything bad when pressed hard. The only tech I'd upgrade for
daily use would be front brakes and a pertronix ignition, and maybe a Weber
carb "jeep kit" if the carb was crapped up. Vacuum wipers are better than
electric if both the pump and motor are in good shape. The front suspension
struts are a PITA but 64 is easier than 63 (different diameter rods I think
or was that 65). Did I say I think it's beautiful?

There's no other downside to that car model. That particular car, I dunno...