Re: [AMC-list] Transmission Tech

" From: Marc Montoni <Freedom@xxxxxxxx>
"
" I have an opportunity to buy two T-5 transmissions, complete with AMC
" engines attached.  Natch, they are 4wd units, and yes the xfer cases
" are also attached.
"
" Q1:  So if I were to convert these to 2wd for my Spirit, what
" transmissions have a tailshaft and rear housing I can use -- besides
" a 2wd AMC T-5, I mean (because they're scarce as hen's teeth and 401's
" hereabouts)?

ratios are 4.03 - 2.37 - 1.49/1.50 - 1.00 - 0.76/0.81/0.86, r 3.76.

a. the tailshaft is integral with the mainshaft on every tranny i
   know of except the gm saginaw 3sp/4sp family.  you'll need a
   mainshaft.
b. in addition to the fords jim mentioned - ohc2.3 4cyl iirc - gm also
   used this gearset, in the s10 and camaro at least; that's another
   possible donor.  i'd say -generally- any non-world-class t5, but
   apparently ford and gm 5th gears aren't necessarily interchangeable
   - i don't know details.

the s10 rear housing has just about the farthest-fwd shifter location.

" Q2:  Also, they are both '84 setups.  One is attached to a 258, the
" other to a 4 cyl.  Are there any major differences between the T-5 a
" 4 cylinder would have used vs the T-5 behind the 258?

iirc none except perhaps 5th gear.