Re: [AMC-list] restore info- pacer coupe

Re: [AMC-list] restore info- pacer coupe

" From: ksiroonian@xxxxxxx
"
"
" []
"
" Anyway, the spare tire well had some minor rust hole perforations, so I
" think I can see the top of the tank barely. I'd like to coat the area
" with some kind of sealer. do you recommend bondo or some fiberglass, or
" any other product, then I will spray the area with the rust encapsulater
" type of stuff. a thin coat of fiberglass or bondo should do it as long
" as It do not contact the gas tank, i think that is a bit below the well.

rust encapsulator or remover like phosphoric acid ['prep 'n strip']
first, -then- fiberglass!  otherwise the rust will continue rusting
and the glass will come off.

unless the 'area' you're talking about is the tank top under the tire
well, in which case rust encapsulator should still be first; it has
little or no effect on 'clean' metal.  i don't think phosphoric does
either.

" Also, around the cargo area there is some kind of black asphaltic type
" of padding, fairly thin, with a light brown type of paper on the top
" side. Any idea what kind of replacement stuff I might find to duplicate
" this and then maybe also putting it on the base of the spare tire well
" underneath the new spare to protect the floor as well as insulate it?
" thanks for any comments or ideas.

tarpaper?  but --

you don't want anything that can absorb or trap water!  that just
invites the rust cycle to start again.