Re: [AMC-list] fads and wagons

Vinyl roofs don't HAVE to be bad -- some look good, and as long as the car was garage (or at least carport) kept they seem to be fine. It's after they've been parked in the weather for years that problems start to appear. Whether it's because an owner didn't keep the car mostly covered or it was at the end of it's life cycle and sat for years before being recovered by an enthusiast is beside the point. It's like the guy who had a Rambler once, and it was "the biggest POS" he ever had. He neglected to mention he was the 10th owner, it had well over 100K on it when he got it, and it hadn't been close to properly maintained in years. But it still ran reasonably well. That's a testament to durability, not a POS! Neglecting a vinyl roof is similar. I saw the "Gremlin wagon" too. Don't know how the heck the guy came up with Gremlin! When I read the post I figured it was a Hornet wagon that had a Gremlin nose on it or just a plain old Gremlin that someone was calling a "wagon". Didn't expect to see a perfectly normal Hornet!
-------
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 06:56:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: russ hathaway <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx>

I like vinal roofs, real ones, not those horrible half roofs of the 70s/80s. Unfortunately, vinal roofs chew up cars. The Jav of 68-70 had a nice full roof, the Humpsters was terrible.
I have seen cars mislabeled in many ads but never seen a Hornet called a Gremlin wagon. I also hoped it was a factory prototype that got snuck out the doors, not some bonehead who doesn't know what he ownes. Kinda like those people who advertise their early sixties Rambler with the 2 speed auto.....Russ

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts