Re: [AMC-list] AMC-list Digest, Vol 4, Issue 29

Andrew Hay wrote:

>with gm's 'hummer' on the block, what's amgeneral's fate?  as a
>defense contractor it's barred from foreign ownership afaik.  also
>afaik gm had only a [big] stake in it, not the whole enchilada.

AMGeneral is not part of GM; they only licensed the rights to GM to use the name "Hummer" on a mondo-huge Suburban reskin.  I believe they manufacture parts of the bodies under contract with GM, but I'd imagine that relationship is about to go extinct.

dave stohler said:

>i dont think gm had anything to do with the original HUMMER. the military
>version or H1 as it was later called. i beleive they only supplied the drive
>trains.

Correct.  In fact the earliest HUMMWV (Humvee aka Hummer in military slang) had AMC 232's in them.  I don't think that went beyond the prototype stage, however.

>then later bought the name to produce the stupid h2 and later junk.

GM bought the license to use "Hummer" specifically for the H2 and derivatives.

AMGeneral's history is pretty interesting, and they're nothing if not imaginative.  The Wikipedia article on them is informative:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_General

I'm looking forward to seeing AMGeneral's answer to the Checker cab:

http://www.vpgautos.com/universal-design/

MARC MONTONI
Richmond VA
http://FreeVirginia.blogspot.com/
Freedom.  Responsibility.  www.LP.org
Cu vi parolas Esperanton?
I'd rather push a Rambler than drive a Toyota.
Visit www.AMCRC.com or www.AMONational.com .
http://RichmondRambler.tripod.com/
http://Hasdrubal.tripod.com/Index.htm