Re: [Amc-list] And he was a goober-tronic! (pushrod wasn't quite pushing

Re: [Amc-list] And he was a goober-tronic! (pushrod wasn't quite pushing)

I spend probably 30 - 45 minutes prepping for head gaskets. This stuff
is old and going super slow is worth every minute, besides, I'd rather
waste and easy 30 minutes than re-do a whole job...

I use a clean shop rag and a couple of single edge razor blades and get
the deck and head down to clean bare steel. When I did the head it was
fine, but the block was still in the car... some grey/black staining
remained on the deck but careful scraping with the blade would remove
nearly nothing.

You gotta keep the blade flat on the metal else you'll scratch gouges.
Certainly, those gouges will be fractions of a mil and fill with sealer,
but they interfere with detecting a clean surface, and look like crap.

The rag prevents crap from falling in the big holes. I follow the blade
around with the rag.

Scrape, then rag with solvent. Blade at a 30 - 45 degree angle to the
steel, use force! It's surprising sometimes that what you think is metal
is a few mils of old baked on antique gasket, oil and sealer. Slide the
blade as you push it, eg. shave it. If you move the blade in tiny arc
strokes you'd be surprised how much junk comes off.

It shoudl be clean with solvent on a white rag! OK a tiny film of grey
OK, but not black. And absolutely no oil.

It takes me 2 or 3 brand new blades to scrape an old block deck clean.

With the rag keeping crap out of cyls and oil, run a fine file over all
the headbolt holes to see how much metal has been raised. If it's more
than a tiny shiny ring the head will never seal. It's bad if it's been
pulled up, but it's lo-tek, file the worst off it shoudl be fine unless
it's crazy bad.

Run a tap down every headbolt hole to get the crap out. If you did this
before it'll just be easier the next time.

I use Indian Head copper sealant with a brush. It takes 10 - 15 minutes
to brush on a thin layer. I do all four surfaces. THIN! And let it fully
dry before assembly. It won't harden all the way, it'll stay tacky. I
think you have like an hour or so before it's useless, no need to hurry.
It should not be wet when you assemble it; the solvent needs to mostly
be gone before the engine is hot.

The hard part is to put the head on WITHOUT SLIDING IT else you ruin
your nice pattern of sealant. You really should drop it exactly straight
down into place with zero sliding. This is not easy. The newer blue
gaskets you assemble dry are a hell of a lot easier for this reason alone!

Go slow slow slow slow slow slow slow slow slow slow slow slow slow slow
slow slow slow slow slow slow slow slow slow slow slow slow slow slow
slow slow slow slow!

Wire brush all the headbolts clean clean clean. Oil lightly.