Re: [Amc-list] And he was a goober-tronic! (pushrod wasn't quite pushing

Re: [Amc-list] And he was a goober-tronic! (pushrod wasn't quite pushing)

Head is off!!!!

No wonder it looked like a steam locomotive. There was coolant in the
1st cylinder and the 6th. A LOT! There was a little coolant in a few
other cylinders. I don't know if it transferred when I removed the head
(don't think so) - or if I had a LOT of issues.

Lesson learned? Do NOT use Permatex Copper in a tube and smear it all
over the place. Goopy just does not do the trick. We have a new head
gasket and intake gasket, and Permatex spray.

We're going to oil the cylinder walls down, clean the head slowly and
fastidously (even if I can't spell it and don't want to mess with a
dictionary) - then sew it up maybe next weekend.

Might be time to readdress the carb as well. I noticed that the
butterfly at the top is not closing and there is a chunk out of the
base. Anyone have a Holley 1909 for a '65 Rambler American for sale? I'd
like to try rebuilding one while driving with the other. Be happy to pay
with Paypal or check or whatever you prefer.

Anyway - making progress! We're off to pick up some oil to put in the
cylinders so they don't get surface rust. And a nice, clean 6" putty
knife so we can get the old junk off without scratching or gouging.