Re: [Amc-list] Full flow 195.6 oil pump

I was writing a little mention of not putting the full flow pump on the
older block for the next issue of AMC (won't go out until just after
Christmas, unfortunately... life gets in the way!), and it dawned on me
as to WHY the oil output changed. It's the location of the pressure
bypass! It's in the block of the older engines, so oil HAS to go BACK to
the bypass valve in the block! That's the passage that is exposed when
the full-flow pump is installed on an older block. There should be no
problem with simply blocking that off with a plate as I suggested since
the full-flow pump moves the by-pass valve to the pump cover.

The TSMs don't show this area good enough, but that has to be it! Tom
and Joe have blocks sitting there and Tom has a spare full-flow pump.
Hopefully the photos will bear this out, and maybe Tom and Joe can find
time for a hands-on investigation.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"