Re: [Amc-list] '63 Ambo questions

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 11:45:56AM -0500, Frank Swygert wrote:

> 1. I haven?t a clue, and can?t think of anyone to ask. I checked the
> parts book, no length given. You should be able to replace the cable
> with a length of galvanized cable from a hardware or farm supply if
> your housings are good. Make sure you get any swedged connections tight,
> especially in the brake drum! I?d use clamps on external connections.
> Cut to fit, and allow for stretch by making the new cables just fit
> with the adjuster all the way out.

I can certainly improvise, and if the weather hadn't turned bad so quickly
and buried my other cars I probably could have scavenged something.

> Do you simply HAVE to have a park brake? If it's needed for inspection
> you do, otherwise you can live without it. I keep a pair of chocks in my
> car just in case, but it's an auto trans. I miss the park brake in my
> manual shift Jeep truck, can't get out with the engine running on a slight
> incline.

Practicalities aside, it's needed to pass the insurance inspection.  That's
my immediate concern.

> 2. The bore is cast on top of the block just behind the right head. Due
> to the heater being over there it's very hard to see with the engine in
> the car, but if you can get back there with a small wire brush/stiff
> tooth brush to clean it, you might be able to see it with the help of a
> mirror or digital camera. I don't recall if the bore is cast in decimal
> inches or fraction, but the 327 has a 4.00" bore, 287 3.75", and 250 a
> 3.50". The 250 can be identified by removing a rocker cover, it has
> adjustable rockers and solid lifters like a 195.6 OHV six. No adjusters
> on 287/327 rockers -- they use hydraulic lifters.

Gotcha.

> 3. You can still get in-line engine heaters that go in a heater hose.
> There are also magnetic heaters that stick to the oil pan.

I have both.  Don't particularly want to use either, but will install inline
as an interim measure if necessary.  Hence the question about replacement
in-block heaters.

thx.
jl