From: mask1966@xxxxxxx
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 4:19 pm
Subject: 62 Classic brakes

Hey guys,

It's 20 degrees outside (40 in my garage), but I have torn apart my right front?brake to see if I can find out why my 9" Wagner drum brakes are not stopping me like they should. Here is the scoop as I know it:

1. Good pedal height, 1" to 1 1/2" of pedal free play.
2. Master cylinder rebuilt in the last year, no leaks.
3. Wheel cylinders replaced with new about 2 years ago, no leaks.
4. Shoes have plenty of lining, not glazed or worn.
5. Drum is in excellent shape, not grooves or glazing.
6. Adjusters appear to work as the drum to shoe clearance was tight enough to make the drum snug to remove.
7. Brakes work, but are slow to stop the car; pull evenly, but lots of leg needed.
8.?I have not tried, but it feels like you would NOT be unable to lock up any wheels in a panic stop.
9. Keep in mind, this is 41K mile original car that has been well cared for.
10. I have only owned this car for a few months.