[Amc-list] AMC TorqueFlite choosings

AFAIK there is no difference between flex plates for lockup or non-lockup
converters.

Locking is done inside the converter.

IIRC lockups in 79+ V8s, 80+ 6s except Eagle, 81+ Eagles.

Ken

--

I have an '81 Eagle with Lock_Up convertor - in essence a 'Hydro' 4th gear overdrive
and is the only way to go when choosing a TF outside of Drag Racing.

Look for a 998 Lock_Up trans. to rebuild - not - the 727 Lock_Up as these require big  HP / Torque to spin.

904 is good for a 6cyl. Only.
Case lacks ribbed support & comes with three clutch plates etc. - skip.

304 came with a 998 & 4 clutch plates etc.

JEEP 999 comes with 5 clutch plates.
Find a Lock_Up 2wd JEEP 999.

360 came with 727.

Most ALL AMC V8 car guys choose a 998 to freshen up to 999 rather
than run a 727.

Eagle came with a 998.

Might get an Eagle 998 Lock_Up and swap tail shafts & 999 upgrade.

You can get rebuild kits cheaply that will upgrade the 998 to 999 specs.

Run a HUGE after market Oil Cooler and a Rough Cast alum. deeper Pan with the TF.

Rough Cast wicks off much more heat than does a Polished Casting.

Regardless of which TorqueFlite you choose - get a New correct Convertor for
the transmission since Lock_Up converters don't work on non Lock_Up TF's .

Look for an after market Performance Company who offers a 'Towing' convertor.

Don't use a used Convertor - AMC converters are known to crack at the
convertor face where the snout is welded on.. ask me how I know.. :-\

milnersXcoupe
1981 series50