[Amc-list] 62 Classic brakes

Hey guys,

It's 20 degrees outside (40 in my garage), but I have torn apart my right front?brake to see if I can find out why my 9" Wagner drum brakes are not stopping me like they should. Here is the scoop as I know it:

1. Good pedal height, 1" to 1 1/2" of pedal free play.
2. Master cylinder rebuilt in the last year, no leaks.
3. Wheel cylinders replaced with new about 2 years ago, no leaks.
4. Shoes have plenty of lining, not glazed or worn.
5. Drum is in excellent shape, not grooves or glazing.
6. Adjusters appear to work as the drum to shoe clearance was tight enough to make the drum snug to remove.
7. Brakes work, but are slow to stop the car; pull evenly, but lots of leg needed.
8.?I have not tried, but it feels like you would NOT be unable to lock up any wheels in a panic stop.
9. Keep in mind, this is 41K mile original car that has been well cared for.
10. I have only owned this car for a few months.

I have taken some pics and posted on photobucket (see link below) to let you see my brakes. Keep in mind, I have not taken any other wheels apart (too cold) nor have I tested to see if both sides of the wheel cylinder are operating. (Wife is shopping)
http://s410.photobucket.com/albums/pp184/62rambler-photos/

What I did notice is that the brake self adjuster is mounted on the secondary (rear) shoe rather than the primary (front) shoe.?The shop manual clearly states on page 5 of the brake section, "The automatic adjuster is located on the primary or front shoe on the 10 series." Figure 7 shows the left front brake, but clearly shows the adjuster on the front shoe. The problem is if the adjuster is moved to the primary or front shoe, the star wheel will no longer line up with the slot in the backing plate.

Does this mean someone in the last 40 years has taken everything apart (backing plates included) and mixed the parts around? I would be interested in comparing my front brake to another Classic to see if they are the same or different. Does someone have photos of their drums removed that can be compared? Only Classics will do, Ambassadors have Bendix brakes and mount the adjuster on the secondary shoe according to the manual.

Any help you can provide may save or confirm that I need to swap most everything around L to R.?Help!

Mike Klepp
'62 Rambler Classic Custom 4 dr.