Re: [Amc-list] Finally got the T96 out of the 62 Classic - now a questio

Re: [Amc-list] Finally got the T96 out of the 62 Classic - now a question

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Course as Tom found out that may not be a good idea without setting the preloads!

Nahh, the clearances are so huge it pretty much doesn't matter. What *I*
screwed up, I'm fairly sure now, was not seating the C-clip on the input
shaft. I had to tap it into place, and no, it wasn't burred or nicked.
It's just close tolerance. The C_clip was loose in the TO bearing nose,
and it let the input shaft push inward and ground the bearings into
expensive grit.

Other than that 2-3 grind I freaked out about a month ago, and one
other, it's been perfect. ANd those grinds are from shifting too fast.
It's a sloooooow shifting trans! The synchros are just bronze-on-steel
cones with large clearances and rely on the sloppiest friction and oil
drag to work.