---------------
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 23:36:15 -0500
From: "oldcars@xxxxxxxxx" <oldcars@xxxxxxxxx>

I finally got the jammed T-96 out today. There was grease splattered in
a pattern behind the trans, more on the passenger side, but still pretty
well all under the car especially in a line with the trans.

First, I had to figure out how to get the parking brake cable loose. I
ended up deciding to waste the stamped steel boomerang-shaped tensioner,
and cut it out with a Dremel. I think that the tensioners should be pretty
well generic...it looks almost identical to a similar Studebaker part, and
I may have a similar part elsewhere. I figure now that it is loose, I can
either crank off the rusted nut on the front cable, or maybe resort to a
nut cracker.

Then I realized that the rear flex hose had to go.

Then came the tricky part: how to move the car body forward without
moving the axle. I chocked the wheels, and then very carefully drove my 88
Dakota right up behind the Rambler - the bumper heights matched. Very
gently, I pushed the Rambler with the Dak. I had to do it a couple times to get the shaft separated far enough from the trans housing.

Having both of them out, I have come to think that it may be possible
to use the 1967 gearbox with the 62 bell by simply bolting up the upper
bolts, and making sure that the input shaft retainer fits into the hole in
the housing. As for the lower bolts, the 67 has a lip on the front face of
the trans, so I am thinking that the standard bolts which hold the trans to
the bellhousing could be used together with washers, in order to grab on to
the lip, and thereby provide the 4 attachment points.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"