[Amc-list] Classic Brakes

Hey Guys,
I finally picked up the '62 Rambler Classic Custom I bought a few of
weeks ago. It is everything and more (41K original miles is very nice
condition) I hoped for. It has it's problems, but the one I find the
most disturbing is the brakes or lack of. The master cylinder was
rebuilt last year and wheel cylinders replaced the year before, but the
braking is poor at best. It takes a lot of pedal pressure just to slow
down at city speeds. Road speeds are really scary. It has manual brakes
(no power) and does not pull either left or right. It just takes a long
time to slow down. Is this the norm for this model or do I have a
problem? How does your braking compare? I thought with a dual M/C and
new W/C, this thing should stop at least as good as my '53 Ford and '65
Chevy with drums. Give a new AMC owner a little help before I rear end
someone.

Also my temp gauge does not work. A previous owner installed an
accessory type gauge under the dash, but I would like to fix the stock
unit and get rid of the after market junk. Is the stock gauge electric
or bourdon tube type? How should I start to check it out/fix it?

I appreciate any and all help I can get with these problems. I know
there are years of experience working with AMC iron out there. Thanks
again.

Mike Klepp
'62 Rambler Classic Custom
'65 Chevy C-10