Re: [Amc-list] Classic Brakes

My advice is get a copy of the Technical Service Manual for your car.  It will have the wiring diagram and you should be able to troubleshoot your temperature gauge.  I had a 62 Classic wagon for awhile but scrapped it due to rust (my mistake, it could have been fixed).   1962 was the first year for the dual master cylinder.  I know that repair kits for that master cylinder were very hard to find (I looked.).

The previous owner may have put the wrong master cylinder with a different piston bore size in the car.  A different bore size will make a diffence in the required pedal pressure I think.  It's been argued about (excuse me, discussed) here on the list before.  Also check to see if the master cylinder rod is in the lowest attachment hole on the brake pedal arm.  That will produce more leverage and reduce your pedal pressure.  I'd recommend pulling the drums and having a look to see if the shoes and drums and clean and dry or if there's oil or brake fluid contamination.

Joe Fulton