Re: [Amc-list] Classic Brakes

mask1966@xxxxxxx wrote:

 > The master cylinder was
> rebuilt last year and wheel cylinders replaced the year before, but the
> braking is poor at best. It takes a lot of pedal pressure just to slow
> down at city speeds. Road speeds are really scary. It has manual brakes
> (no power) and does not pull either left or right. It just takes a long
> time to slow down. Is this the norm for this model or do I have a
> problem?

No, that's not normal. In 1962 the brakes on that car were "adequate",
but you should be able to easily lock them up! The biggest problem with
them, in good working order, is fade from multiple use, or when wet.

Are they 9" or 10" brakes? Six would have 9's, V8's 10".

I would park it immediately, put it on jackstands and pull the wheels
and drums. Unless you have to buy new drums, making drum brakes work
right is NOT expensive.

My guess would be, they are assembled wrong. Leading/trailing shoes
swapped, wrong parts, adjusted crazy, (adjusted swapped left and right?).

If we could see 'em, I, or a bunch of us on this list, could see the
problems right off if it's one of those things. If you have a digital
camera, and the problems aren't obvious to you (few these days know much
about drum brakes, it seems) take a couple of photos right after you
pull the drums. Get a can of spray brake cleaner (or use "brake dust
remover" and soapy water -- works as well) and take some photos of it
clean from many angles and we could debug by eye, probably.

You'll have to post 'em to flicker or something since the list doesn't
accept photos.