Re: [Amc-list] 7 Main Bearing engine into 62 Classic

The detente balls were probably stuck when it was shifted and since have popped back out. Removing the shift cover would allow you to check it out before pulling the trans. They have a spring between the balls that was supposed to keep you from accidentally shifting both gears at the same time, but over the years they get messed up.

From: "oldcars@xxxxxxxxx"
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 7 Main Bearing engine into 62 Classic
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Andy,

   Thanks for the feedback.

   I have tried beating on the shift levers on the transmission.
I am about 300 pounds and used a BFH and swung hard and could not dislodge
them -
tried both directions with both levers. I have come to the conclusion that
someone
either was playing Speed Racer, or did not know that 1st gear is
non-synchro.
The case is encrusted in grease, which tells me that it is likely that
something
happened with the trans to cause the grease to leak out - perhaps suddenly!

   The Grem definitely has the bigger pattern trans bolted up to the bell,
but I can tell it is the mult pattern bell. IIRC, the T14 has the smaller
trans front bolt pattern.

   I had been thinking about using the 150T lower bolt holes to mount the
insulator.
It will have to be a thin one - will only have about 1/2" between the top
of the
rear crossmember and the bottom of the middle of the multi-bell. Of course
I could try
placing a mount on each side, which would allow about 1" total.

   Thanks again for the input.

   I would be surprised if nobody did this one before...hoping someone has
tried it.

Jim