Re: [Amc-list] 7 Main Bearing engine into 62 Classic

Re: [Amc-list] 7 Main Bearing engine into 62 Classic

" From: "oldcars@xxxxxxxxx" <oldcars@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" Andy,
"
"    Thanks for the feedback.
"
"    I have tried beating on the shift levers on the transmission.
" I am about 300 pounds and used a BFH and swung hard and could not dislodge
" them - tried both directions with both levers. I have come to the conclusion
" that someone either was playing Speed Racer, or did not know that 1st gear
" is non-synchro. The case is encrusted in grease, which tells me that it is
" likely that something happened with the trans to cause the grease to leak
" out - perhaps suddenly!

well, that's that.

"    The Grem definitely has the bigger pattern trans bolted up to the bell,
" but I can tell it is the mult pattern bell. IIRC, the T14 has the smaller
" trans front bolt pattern.

it does, in cars.  but for some odd reason jeep had their t14s made
with the t86/t15 bolt pattern and input.  i don't know of anyone else
that used the t14.  of course, neither looks anything like the big
ford pattern.

how about using a ford toploader tranny?  pickups used them in the
early/mid '80s so there should be 4wd versions you could adapt to the
tt similar to the t5 idea that's been floated.  the jeep t176/7/8 is a
4wd toploader, deep 1st and 1:1 4th.

you'd probably want to use a side-shifter car case, and you'd have to
go with a floor shifter.  and it might well be too big for the tunnel.

another thought: multipattern bells must differ by the size of the
retainer hole machined depending on which tranny they were used with,
even if all patterns are drilled.  if your bell has a t150 attached,
it must have the large [4.848"] ford-size retainer hole, which would
make it even easier to adapt a mustang 5.0 t5.  [amc sr4/t4/t5 have
gm-size 4.636" retainers; iirc -4-cyl- fords do also.  the t96/t14
retainer is 4.25".]