Re: [Amc-list] rusted drums don't come off easily

Re: [Amc-list] rusted drums don't come off easily

You can get gas welding stuff from most home centers but it is much
cheaper to get it from a welding supply place.

Besides getting better equipment, you can also get bigger bottles. The
small bottles the home center sells don't last very long. I doubt you'll
get all of the drums off. Also, by going to a welding supply place, you
can also get suggestions for welding tip sizes (not to mention actually
being able to get the tips).

Be aware, most of the cost of gas welding equipment is in the tanks (I
think the ones I have were close to $200 each) but you may be able to
rent them. The place I got my stuff from charges $30/month + gas. The
torch set wasn't very much (I think mine were about $150 for decent
entry level stuff, longer and bigger hoses are available for more
money). You will also need to buy or make a cart for the tanks. They
must be secured upright. The acetylene tank has acetone in it to
stabilize the gas. If you try welding with the tank at an angle, you'll
get an explosion instead of a flame. That also reminds me - you need to
let the tank rest upright for a few hours after you bring it home for
the same reason.

Matt

On 10/4/2008 12:53 AM, Armand Eshleman spouted this sage advice:
--
mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH