Re: [Amc-list] I hate to say it...

Jim,

The Hemi in my 3/4 ton Ram provides a lot of zip. I could only imagine
how much fun it would be in something that weighs half as much. Also,
it's possible to get stupid power (pushing 500 HP) out of them with a
cam swap, headers, and an aftermarket ECM. They wouldn't pass an
emissions test at that point but that wouldn't be a problem in an older
car anyway.

Matt

On 10/4/2008 2:22 PM, Jim Boone spouted this sage advice:

> Lately I've been considering something sacrilegious;
>
> I've been looking at my AMC projects, what to "cast off", and what to keep.  My absolute keeper is the '69 Rambler sedan which currently has a '70 390 with T5.  I also like my '67 Rebel wagon that currently has a 232 with T-14 3 speed that was installed later (before I owned it).  I had wanted to rig the wagon as a tow vehicle for the '69 - I thought that would be a cool setup to go to car shows out of area.
>
> So, I was thinking, instead of scrounging/refurbishing all the correct AMC stuff, why not look at getting a 5.7L late model Hemi/auto trans setup and install in the wagon?  Would solve all towing and drivability issues.  Good, low mileage takeouts go for ~$4K with the trans and computer/wiring.  You can't hardly rebuild engine/trans setup for that, much less have the power and ease of operation of the late model stuff for that.
>
> It wouldn't be AMC exactly, but it is "in the family", and certainly not the SBC setup most folks retrofit.  I'd have to upgrade brakes, rebuild suspension (which I was gonna do anyway), fab a custom driveshaft, and the stock rear AMC 20 would be OK - maybe a rebuild, upgrade to twin-grip and gear change (currently a 3.15), but, there again, I was looking at doing the rear anyway.
>
> This would leave the '69 as the lumpy-cam, manual shift, "old skool" car for fun, and the wagon as a AMC version of the late model Dodge Magnum...
>
> Jim Boone
> Mims, FL

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH