[Amc-list] rusted drums don't come off easily

[Amc-list] rusted drums don't come off easily

OK,
Thursday I fell asleep on the couch before 7 pm and woke up about ten pm.
Went to bed to get some more sleep.
Not a bit of progress on the green car.
Tonight I began the attempt at removing the right front drum, hub and brake
shoes, frozen wheel number one.
I raised the front end in the air and blocked it up so it was safe to work
under.
I removed the wheel and looked at where the shoe retaining pins sit on the
backing plate.
I ground one off with my mini grinder and then realized I couldn't get the
grinder in there to
get at the other pin. Solution, small pointy sharp chisel and about three
wacks with a 16 ounce
ball pein hammer and the head of the pin popped off, much faster and less
noisy than grinding.
Pulled and yanked on the hub after removing the outer wheel bearing, all to
no avail. that large pin
at the top center of the shoes that everything thrusts against when the
brakes are applied will not allow the drum/hub to
come off. I pulled and yanked for quite some time before standing down for a
re-think.
Tomrrow if I can't come up with any other solution I am thinking it's smoke
wrench time. Let's face it the drums are toast
any way. If those shoes won't let go after all those attacks I made on them,
they won't let go when I get the drum/hub off without
damamge any way. I am guessing the drums are past tolerance for wear too.
And the other thing is, Discs work so much better and safer. I would need
road racing quality brakes for a #6 Penske Donohue clone, not factory drums.
I think I'm gonna be trying to get my hands on a bottle of acetylene and a
bottle of oxygen tomorrow and cut the drums off the hubs or whatever.
Oh, almost forgot, for the record the adjuster is froze just as solid as the
drum and shoe. It may be th efirst thing to try cutting tomorrow and maybe
just maybe the shoes will give coming off that big pin at the top.........
Wish me luck....

Armand